Wednesday, July 2, 2014

End of the road.

It's been several weeks since my last blog post and I'm happy to report, I had a very good reason for the delay. After making the very questionable choice to drive 2400+ miles (including wrong turns) from Houston, TX to Vancouver, WA in 53 hours, stopping for sleep only once; I spent the next few days job hunting. This resulted in two interviews and, more importantly, two offers the next week!

I ended up accepting a position as a Software Development Engineer I at a great company. I started work a week and a half ago, and I'm loving it.

The decision to travel more than halfway across the country and spend 10 weeks away from my home, family, and friends in order to attend Coder Camps turned out to be one of the best I've ever made. Everything about the experience, from the coursework (which has ALL been relevant to my new job), to the support fellow students and the instructors (amazing!) helped greatly in making this life-changing career transition possible. (Not to mention the support of family, and especially my wife, Dina!)

If anyone reading this is curious about learning to become a Programmer, or about Coder Camps, please contact me; I'm happy to share my experience and answer any questions you may have. It's not for everyone, but it's also far more attainable than most people think. If you didn't know, for the last 15 years, I've worked almost exclusively as a call center agent, supervisor, or manager. The pay was decent, and I had some great co-workers, but it is an emotionally taxing, unstimulating, uninspiring, unrewarding, and an all-around generally unpleasant thing to do. On a good day.

Whatever you are doing for a living, if that sounds familiar, I challenge you to do your homework, search your soul a bit, get ready to sacrifice, and then JUMP! Take a risk and pursue something you really enjoy. It might not be Programming, it doesn't matter what it is. As long as it's something you are passionate about, it will be worth it.

 I started this blog to chronicle the experience of going to Coder Camps and of starting my new career. That part of the journey is done, and therefore it's also time to say goodbye to this blog. My journey has a long way to go, and perhaps I'll start another one in the future; but for now, just keeping up at my new job is enough to take all my focus.

Thank you for reading, this and my other posts. I really enjoyed seeing the page-view count rise over the last few months - it made being away from home a little easier as I knew most of those page-views were from people I know.

And as always, I can't wait to see what I don't know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment