Saturday, March 29, 2014

On the Road, Part 2

Good morning from Albuquerque.

No wifi at the motel last night so posting from Starbucks this morning. There's always a Starbucks.

Coder Camps begins in just three days so my thoughts this morning have been turning to the programing and Web Dev skills I've already learned and what's to come.

Over the last few months I've learned a lot - The DOM model, common HTML5 / CSS3 elements and properties. How to structure an HTML document using a grid system. Bootstrap and Foundation. An intro to SCSS. Version control, specifically GitHub. Updated my command line skills. Learned a lot of Javascript, some Ruby, and intro to Rails, a good bit of C#, and brushed up on the concepts of Object Oriented Programing. I've done some work in Visual Studios and used Web Forms. Got an intro to AJAX, learned some Jquery, got an intro to Coffeescript, and learned to traverse the DOM. I've written functions, methods, and classes; and used enums, arrays, and hashes.

Absorbing new skills and information is coming easier and easier as I can relate new things to what I already know. The great thing is, there's always more to learn. Even after Coder Camps ends and I'm job-ready for that first Dev position, I'll have only scratched the surface.

I'm so grateful for the support of friends and family that has allowed me to make this career switch and go into a field where I can learn something (or many things!) new every day without end. Most especially, thank you to Dina Walden and Loyce Martinazzi - without your support I would not be here today.

As a reward to my readers, below are some pictures of the Salt Lake City skyline and the Wilson Arch in southern Utah. Bearing in mind that I haven't hit Texas yet and only traveled through a small corner of Colorado, I have to say Utah is hands down the most beautiful state I've traveled through on this road trip. You can't really understand the phrase "America the beautiful" when you travel by air - but by road - yeah, I get it now. And Utah certainly fits the bill. I didn't take theses - my camera phone really couldn't do the scenes justice.



Images sources: boomsbeat.com, woodchuckimages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment